The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft: The Complete A-Z for the Entire Magical World - Judika Illes 2005
Food and Drink
Colcannon is a traditional Irish Halloween meal. Small tokens are hidden inside the meal for purposes of divination.
1. Boil potatoes, then drain and mash them.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, boil cabbage, too.
3. Stir chopped, cooked cabbage into the mashed potatoes.
4. Melt butter in a pan.
5. Chop onions and gently sauté them in the butter.
6. Mix the sautéed onions into the mashed potatoes and cabbage dish.
7. Add salt and white pepper to taste.
8. Carefully stir the tokens into the dish.
9. Serve the colcannon on individual plates. Make a well in the center of each mound of colcannon and place butter within.
Should someone not receive a token, this indicates that their destiny is unresolved or is in their own hands. Although any tokens may be incorporated, sometimes, particularly if serving children, coins are wrapped in wax paper and hidden as a treat instead.
Some prefer to substitute parsnips for the cabbage although both could easily be incorporated.