The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More - Arin Murphy-Hiscock 2017
Craft Balms or Perfumes
Create and Craft Green Witch Magic
Walking the Green Path
This magical craft takes an essential oil of your choice and makes it a solid balm, which can be used as a magical perfume. The term “balm” indicates comfort of some kind, as well as a solid substance that melts when applied to the warmth of the skin.
It is important to remember that balms are magical in nature, which means that the energies of the oils act upon the energy of the individual who uses them.
Make sure the jar, tin, or container you choose to contain the balm has a wide enough mouth for you to reach inside with your fingers. Choose a container that isn’t too deep and make sure that the lid closes tightly to preserve the contents as long as possible.
Also be sure to carefully research the oils you wish to use. You don’t want to use too much of an oil, like cinnamon, that can irritate your skin. Always consider your skin’s sensitivity.
When applying the balm, use only a small amount. Scoop up a bit on your fingertip and rub it gently with a circular motion on the area where you wish to apply it. Do not allow the balm to come in contact with your eyes. Wash your hands after you have used the balm or after the ritual activity you wish to be enhanced by the balm. In the summer, keep your balm in the fridge for a cooling sensation when you apply it.
Balms should not be applied to the skin of children.
Remember to label the tin or container clearly with the name of the balm. Write the recipe in your green witch journal.
✵ 1 1/2 teaspoons beeswax beads
✵ 1/4 cup sweet almond oil or jojoba oil
✵ Small, clean, empty can
✵ Saucepan and water
✵ 5-9 drops essential oil(s) of your choice
✵ 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
✵ Small jar or container
1. Place the beeswax beads and the almond or jojoba oil in the small, clean can. Do NOT cover the can. Place the can in a saucepan filled approximately half-full with water. (This creates a double boiler and keeps the flammable oils from coming into contact with flame or heating coils.) Set the saucepan on the stove over medium heat and allow the heat of the water to melt the beeswax and almond or jojoba oil.
2. Remove the saucepan from the stove. Wearing oven mitts to protect your hands, remove the can from the water bath. Swirl in the drops of essential oil and the vitamin E oil. As you do this, empower the mixture with your magical intent.
3. Allow the mixture to cool slightly. As it cools, the surface will solidify. Using a chopstick or a Popsicle stick, stir it gently to recombine the solid with the liquid. As you stir, reinforce your magical intent.
4. When the mixture has cooled but before it is completely solid, pour it into the clean jar or container and seal it. Label it with the contents and the date.
5. To use the balm, scoop a small amount onto a fingertip and smooth onto your skin.
Here are some suggestions for balms:
✵ For a meditation balm, use 3 drops of lavender, 3 drops of sandalwood, and 2 drops of violet. Rub a small amount into your temples and the inside of your wrists. This is also an excellent blend to use for relaxation and to aid sleep, and it thus doubles as a peace and harmony balm.
✵ For a purification balm, use 2 drops of lavender oil, 3 drops of frankincense, and 3 drops of jasmine. Dot a small amount on your third eye (in the center of your forehead), on your chest, and on the solar plexus. Use whenever you wish to clear negative emotion or energy from your emotional or physical body.
✵ For a love balm, use 3 drops of rose oil, 3 drops of jasmine, 2 drops of lavender oil, and 1 drop of vanilla oil. Dot on the inside of your wrists, over your heart, at the nape of your neck, and behind your knees. (Note that this balm is a general love blend. It can be used for self-love and affection as well as any other sort of purpose associated with love.)
✵ For an abundance balm, use 1 drop of cinnamon, 2 drops of orange, 3 drops of mint, and 2 drops of pine. Rub a small amount in the palms of your hands and on the soles of your feet.
✵ For a healing balm, use 2 drops of rosemary, 2 drops of eucalyptus, 2 drops of myrrh, and 2 drops of sandalwood. This balm can be used for spiritual, emotional, and physical healing. This is particularly good used on the chest or back. Avoid using this balm near eyes or mucous membranes, or on thin or sensitive skin, because rosemary and eucalyptus can irritate.
✵ For a happiness balm, use 1 drop of lime oil, 2 drops of lemon oil, 2 drops of rose oil, and 2 drops of lavender oil. Apply to the wrists or the back of the hands, the knees, the feet, and over your heart. For a bright, citrus-based happiness balm, use 2 drops of lime oil, 2 drops of lemon oil, 2 drops of orange oil, and 2 drops of bergamot oil.