The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit - Arin Murphy-Hiscock 2018
Accepting Your Limits
Mental and Emotional Self-Care
Like it or not, you can’t do everything. This spell helps you accept that you have limits, that you cannot take everything on. Boundaries exist to help keep us healthy, and establishing them—then defending them!—is a valuable part of self-care. Not only do you have to defend them from other people, sometimes you have to defend them from yourself. It’s very easy to think, Oh, I’ll just do this one little thing, and then suddenly it’s been a hundred little instances of “just this” and you’re wondering why you feel like you’re falling apart.
The obsidian in this spell, while excellent at repelling negativity, also helps you get in touch with your shadow side. If you are unconsciously sabotaging your own limits, using obsidian may help you recognize that.
Spell to Help Accept Limits
Sometimes you’re supposed to stop; sometimes you’re supposed to understand that overextending yourself is a bad plan. This spell helps you accept your limits.
What You Need:
♦ A photo or item representing yourself
♦ White candle and candleholder
♦ Matches or lighter
♦ 4 obsidian stones
♦ 4 hematite stones
♦ 1 labradorite stone
What to Do:
1. Cleanse your supplies according to your preferred method (see Chapter 1).
2. Center and ground.
3. Set your photo in the center of your work space. Place the candle a few inches behind it.
4. Light the candle, saying, “I illuminate my boundaries and see them clearly.”
5. Place the obsidian stones around the photo on a square, one at each corner. (The obsidians in the top corners should be between the photo and the candle.) Say, “My limits defend me.”
6. Place the hematites around the photo as well, between each obsidian. (If your photo were a clock face, the hematites would be at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00.) Say, “My limits protect me.”
7. Place the labradorite on or next to your photo or item, saying, “My limits are strong.”
8. Sprinkle the salt in a circle around the candle, photo, and stones. Sit before the circle, repeating, “My limits defend me; my limits protect me; my limits are strong.”
9. When you feel you are done, extinguish the candle. You may choose to cleanse the stones and return them to your supplies, or keep them with your photo somewhere safe. (Do the latter if you feel that repeating the spell regularly would benefit you.)