The Accidental Shaman: Journeys with Plant Teachers and Other Spirit Allies - Howard G. Charing 2017
1. Thomas Moore, “The Salt of Soul, the Sulfur of Spirit,” in A Blue Fire: Selected Writings of James Hillman, ed. Thomas Moore, 113 (New York: Harper Perennial, 1989).
2. Ibid., 112.
1. Howard G. Charing, Peter Cloudsley, and Pablo Amaringo, The Ayahuasca Visions of Pablo Amaringo (Rochester, Vt.: Inner Traditions, 2011), 84.
CHAPTER 2. STARTING TO HEAL
1. Michael Harner speaking in 1991 at a workshop at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, where I was working as his assistant.
CHAPTER 3. MAPS OF REALITY
1. Quote from Steve Beyer’s “Singing to the Plants” blog page: www.singingtotheplants.com/2007/12/eliades-shamanism (accessed 10/18/16).
2. Mircea Eliade, Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy (London: Penguin/Arkana, 1989), 5.
3. John G. Neihardt, Black Elk Speaks, repr. ed. (Lincoln: Bison Books/University of Nebraska Press, 1988), 85.
4. Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Rätsch, Plants of the Gods, rev. ed. (Rochester, Vt.: Healing Arts Press, 2001), 156.
5. Benny Shanon quoted in The Guardian, www.theguardian.com/world/2008/mar/05/religion.israelandthepalestinians (accessed 10/18/16).
CHAPTER 5. SOUL RETRIEVAL
1. Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, “Shamanism in the Native Bon Tradition of Tibet,” Sacred Hoop Magazine 7 (1994).
CHAPTER 6. YOUR REALITY IS SACROSANCT
1. The Oxford Dictionary, s.v. “belief.”
2. Dr. Bernard Lown quoted in Eric Peper, “Compassionate Presence: Covert Training Invites Subtle Energies Insights,” Subtle Energies Magazine 26, no. 2 (2015): 22.
3. Gustave M. Gilbert, Nuremberg Diary (New York: Farrar, Straus and Company, 1947), 278—79.
4. President George W. Bush in an address to a joint session of Congress on September 20, 2001.
CHAPTER 7. THE CONTINUUM OF LIFE
1. Sogyal Rinpoche, In the Mirror of Death (London: Rider, 1992), 11.
2. Spoken directly by Don Eduardo to Leo Rutherford in the 1980s, who later informed me.
3. Theodore Roszak, “Descartes’ Angel, Reflections on the True Art of Thinking,” in The Betrayal of Tradition: Essays on the Spiritual Crisis of Modernity, ed. Harry Oldmeadow (Bloomington, Ind.: World Wisdom, 2005), 301.
4. Albert Einstein, from a letter of condolence to the Besso family sent on the death of Einstein’s friend Michele Angelo Besso in March 1955.
5. Quoted in the BBC documentary “The Hidden Life of the Cell,” in the Our Secret Universe series, www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nln7d (accessed 10/21/16).
6. Conversation between Carl Sagan and the Dalai Lama 1991. Conversation available on video at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6mqQDwVEaw (accessed 10/18/16).
CHAPTER 8. ENERGY MEDICINE
1. C. G. Jung, “The Philosophical Tree,” in Collected Works of C. G. Jung, vol. 13, Alchemical Studies, 335 (Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 2000).
2. Howard G. Charing, Peter Cloudsley, and Pablo Amaringo, The Ayahuasca Visions of Pablo Amaringo (Rochester, Vt.: Inner Traditions, 2011), 127.
CHAPTER 9. THE COLORS OF INFINITY
1. Howard G. Charing, Peter Cloudsley, and Pablo Amaringo, The Ayahuasca Visions of Pablo Amaringo (Rochester, Vt.: Inner Traditions, 2011), 172.
2. Ibid., 39.
3. Howard G. Charing, “Communion with the Infinite: The Visual Music of the Shipibo Tribe of the Amazon,” Sacred Hoop Magazine 47 (2004): 30—33.
4. From the webpage of the Dolphin Communication Project, Port St. Lucie, Florida, www.dolphincommunicationproject.org/index.php/the-latest-buzz/the-dolphin-pod/item/94427-so-high-it-hertz (accessed 10/18/16).
5. Ted Thornhill, “We All Crave It, but Can You Stand the Silence,” April 3, 2012, www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2124581/The-worlds-quietest-place-chamber-Orfield-Laboratories.html (accessed 10/20/16).
CHAPTER 10. AYAHUASCA, ENTHEOGENS, AND SACRAMENTAL PLANTS
1. Communicated during an interview with Artidoro conducted by Peter Cloudsley and Howard G. Charing in 2003. Available online at: www.scribd.com/doc/46540888/Interview-With-Ayahuasca-Shaman-Artidoro (accessed 10/18/16).
2. Peter Cloudsley and Howard G. Charing in a conversation with Javier Arevalo, Peru, 2001.
3. Javier Arevalo quoted in Peter Cloudsley and Howard G. Charing, “Love, Magic, and the Vine of the Soul,” Sacred Hoop Magazine 36 (2002): 14.
CHAPTER 11. HEALING AND SORCERY IN THE PHILIPPINES AND PERU
1. Philippine Daily Inquirer, July 30, 2007, vol. 22, no. 232.
2. Alfred Stelter, Psi Healing (New York: Bantam Books, 1977).
THE SHAMAN AS ARTIST AND CREATOR
1. Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth, episode entitled “Sacrifice and Bliss.” Available online at: billmoyers.com/content/ep-4-joseph-campbell-and-the-power-of-myth-sacrifice-and-bliss-audio (accessed 10/20/16).
2. Ra Bonewitz, The Cosmic Crystal Spiral (Loughborough, UK: Thoth Publications, 1986).
3. Howard G. Charing, Peter Cloudsley, and Pablo Amaringo, The Ayahuasca Visions of Pablo Amaringo (Rochester, Vt.: Inner Traditions, 2011), 97.