Seven Themes of Van Gogh Spread
On This Day
The day Van Gogh threatened artist Paul Gauguin with a razor, Van Gogh ran off in angst to a brothel, where he sliced off the lower part of his left ear and handed it to a prostitute for safekeeping. Gauguin later discovered him lying unconscious, his head covered with blood.
Vincent Van Gogh, painter of supremely supernatural visions, committed himself to a hospital on this day in 1889. The clinic’s buildings and gardens became subjects of his paintings, including the famous Starry Night.
Summation of Spread
The Empress card evokes the creativity of artists. She is the uniting force and link between the physical and the spiritual. The Empress is present the moment paint touches canvas, words manifest upon paper, and bodies move to music.
You may share more with Van Gogh than you realize. The Vincent Van Gogh museum reflects upon the seven main themes appearing in Van Gogh’s work. These themes have been crafted into a tarot spread examining your inner qualities and motivations.
Cast Your Cards
Cast the cards in a signature Van Gogh swirl.
1. Practice Makes Perfect: What am I practicing?
2. Style of Your Own: What is my unique style?
3. Effect of Color: What color do I need to bring into my life?
4. Peasant Painter: How do I make life simpler?
5. Japanese Influence: What foreign culture influences me the most?
6. Modern Portrait: What does it mean to be modern?
7. Wealth of Nature: What is my relationship to nature?