Mother’s Day Spread
On This Day
Mothers in the 1700s gave birth to an average of 7 to 10 children; in the 1950s, they averaged 3.5 children; and today’s moms average 2 children. A mother changes 7,300 diapers by the time her baby turns two, and no mother could ever be described as average.
The first Mother’s Day was celebrated today in 1907. Anna Jarvis campaigned for a Mother’s Day holiday in memory of her deceased mother. The elder Jarvis had created Mothers’ Day Work Clubs to improve sanitary and health conditions in burgeoning cities around the United States.
Summation of Spread
The Empress represents the archetypal Mother figure, while the queens represent mothers you’d meet on a day-to-day basis. The Queen of Pentacles represents a chef, decorator, gardener, and crafter type of homemaker.
The mother-child relationship is evident for everyone regardless of form. The Mother’s Day spread examines this delicate relationship in order to better understand it. Doing so, you come a step closer to understanding yourself.
Cast Your Cards
1. What is the state of my relationship with my mother?
2. What great gift has my mother given me?
3. What great challenge does my mother offer me?
4. How am I similar to my mother?
5. How am I unlike my mother?
6. How do I define myself in comparison to her?
7. How can I best honor our relationship?