Burning Man Spread
On This Day
A temporary airstrip is set up every year at Burning Man and completely erased afterwards.
The Burning Man Festival has occurred on and around this date since 1986. The festival, a temporary experimental community built in a Nevada desert, is dedicated to radical self-expression and self-reliance. A ritual wooden effigy is always burned.
Summation of Spread
The Hanged Man and the Burning Man both reject the ego. Placing self-interest aside is a key component of the Hanged Man. Placing the needs of others first and dedicating yourself to a higher cause link to the sacrificial aspects of this card.
Burning Man founder Larry Harvey wrote Ten Principles of Burning Man in 2004, reflecting the culture and ethos of the event. They inform the questions of the Burning Man Spread.
Cast Your Cards
Cast your cards in the effigy of the burning man:
1. Radical Inclusion: How do I welcome and respect people I don’t know?
2. Gifting: How can I give unconditionally?
3. Decommodification: How can I place less value on “things”?
4. Radical Self-Reliance: How do I best discover and rely on my inner resources?
5. Radical Self-Expression: How do I express my unique gifts?
6. Communal Effort: How do I cooperate with others?
7. Civic Responsibility: How can I become a better community member?
8. Leaving No Trace: How can I reduce my carbon footprint?
9. Participation: How do I achieve being through doing?
10. Immediacy: How do I overcome the barrier between myself and the recognition of my inner self by participating in the experience of life?